Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Beard Club

I’ve been going back and forth about hair. Not mine, but Guitar Fred’s and particularly on his face! Guitar Fred can’t really grow facial hair in Tom Selleck fashion (thank God) but he loves trying to grow his mustache.

When he shaves completely, he’s too clean-cut for my tastes and since he can’t go full-throttle with a beard or ‘stache, I’m wondering that if he keeps his five o’clock shadow for our wedding, he’ll look unkempt. I think it’s sexy (thanks early '90s George Michael for illustrating!) but maybe not wedding appropriate?

I recently saw “The Beard Club,” a documentary about facial hair, masculinity, gender, and identity. The movie explores how “each day, every man must decide either to shave or not to shave. The act can be one of conformity, rebellion, laziness, or transition.”

The film gave me a broader perspective on men and their hair --many of the guys in the film said facial hair made them feel masculine and little rebellious. It's like a badge of pride!

Now, dare I ask Guitar Fred to shave his off for our wedding?

Will (or did) you?

2 love notes:

Katie said...

I personally love my hubby with a 5o'clock shadow. Love love love. However, he thought that his mom would like it better if he was clean shaven on our wedding day...darn him! I was all for the scruffy look.

Vera D. said...

Aww, he acquiesced to mom! hehe, that may be the case with Guitar Fred.

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails